Saturday, September 29, 2012

5 Embarrassing Running Problems

I found a video about 5 embarrassing running problems many runners face. It made me laugh at first, because the first problem was tripping. Two weeks ago, my friend wanted to go running for the very first time ever (it is never too late to start!). As we crossed the street, she didn't quite clear the curb and ended up face-planting into the ground. Not the best experience for your first run! Fortunately, she was a good sport and we laughed the rest of the way back to the car. She even worked up the courage to go running the next week.

Here is a complete list of the five embarrassing running problems:
1. Tripping during your run
2. Excessive sweating
3. Bathroom breaks
4. Getting lost
5. Faulty attire

I have to say that bathroom breaks and wardrobe malfunctions happen to be my worst fears. There is nothing like getting two miles into a long run and realizing you need a bathroom ASAP! It is also problematic when your shorts won't stay up or your shirt is giving you a rash.

Here is a link to the video and the full article that gives great advice on how to avoid some of these obstacles on your next run:

http://video.about.com/running/5-Embarrassing-Running-Problems-and-How-to-Deal-With-Them.htm

4 comments:

  1. I ran cross country and track for several years and I have experienced all of these moments. The worst was at a regional track meet. We were running a 1600 relay when there was a collision during the hand off. My teammates shoe caught my heel. I stumbled and dropped the baton. My teammate went down, head-over-heels. I grabbed the baton and took off. I wanted to stop and help, but I knew better. I made up some space but ended up in third. My teammate was scratched up, but more embarrased by a crash in front of an audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! Knowing whether to help your teammate up or to continue running is a tough call, but I am sure my coach's voice would have been ringing inside my head to keep going. I can't say I am the most graceful person. My normal run has a lot of uneven pavement. On several occasions, I have found myself flying through the air while ongoing traffic gets a good chuckle. I usually sprint the rest of the way home to save my dignity on days like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...I don't mean to laugh at your friend but that is pretty funny. I used to run cross country and ran while I was training as a boxer and I certainly had my share of "spills". The first thing I would always do is look up to see if anybody saw me fall. It seemed to be the embarrassment of getting caught "biting the dust" that caused the most pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5~10 miles running here doesn't feel the same as it did running 5~10 miles in Wisconsin. I suppose that comes back to what type of ground is more comfortable running on. But on the other hand, 5~10 miles here in Vegas feels so much shorter somehow. I've certainly sweat more in Wisconsin, probably due to the humidity; otherwise it's just plain confusing that I'd sweat less here when it's so much hotter when running.

    ReplyDelete