Sunday, September 23, 2012

MPS: Miles Per Shoe

As a stereotypical woman, I look for any excuse to buy a new pair of shoes. When I started running, one of the first things I looked into is how often should I replace my shoes?

The generally accepted number is every 300-500 miles. Depending on how often you run, this can vary from 2 months to a few years. Making sure you replace your running shoes at the necessary time is important. You wouldn't want to drive a car with worn down tires; the same goes for shoes!

The 300-500 miles is simply a rule of thumb. The top advice is to listen to your body. How do you know when the support is worn down on your shoe? Your body will start telling you (my knees can be very vocal). Also, depending on the quality of the shoe, it might break down easier. I found a pair of shoes with a lightweight material sole. I felt like I was floating on air when I ran, but the sole started breaking down after two weeks. If the sole of the shoe is starting to lose tread like a balded tire, then it is probably time to replace your shoes.


So there it is, a perfectly sound reason to replace your shoes. Your joints will thank you for the renewed support, and having new work out gear is a good incentive to go for a run. You have to break them in somehow!


Think you are ready to move on? Check out Zappos for some new, fun options:



Sources:
http://running.competitor.com/2011/05/ask-the-experts/ask-the-experts-how-often-should-i-replace-my-running-shoes_27680
http://www.therunnersguide.com/howlongrunningshoeslast/



2 comments:

  1. Wow, I guess I have become lazy. I have never run a pair of sneaker into the ground, lol. When I was in the military it seemed as if my shoes lasted until I simply wanted new one, so I have learned something new. Thanx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we don't realize how worn out our shoes are. My friend tried my running shoes on once and said that she could feel the insole had molded to my foot; she could feel the spots my toes went! I was horrified, but I never noticed! They looked pretty new on the outside, but the insole was destroyed. Its just something we should be more aware of. Shoes have a shelf life!

    ReplyDelete