Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Couch to 10k App

I have to admit that I am absolutely horrible with sticking to a training plan. Before my first half marathon, the farthest I had ever run was 6 miles. Before my first full marathon, the farthest I had run was 8 miles. I know some people who are training for their first marathon who are waking up at 4am to run 12-18 miles every other day. I am in no way that disciplined.

For this reason, I have decided to challenge myself with the Couch to 10k phone app. I am supposed to run 24 miles for the Ragnar Relay race in about a month, and I am certainly not prepared. I am hoping that this app will help me. Although it is designed to train you over a 12 week period, I am a little pressed for time. I simply need something to get me motivated to run 5 days a week.

The Couch-to-5K ® Running PlanSo what is the app? It gives you a training schedule to know what day you should be running what distance or time. The beginner version is Couch to 5k, but obviously I need to step up my pace for Ragnar (Yes, I know I procrastinated training!). The website goes over the sample Couch to 5k workout schedule:


http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I highly recommend it, because it gives you a great place to start. This will give you a sense of accomplishment without overwhelming new runners or those (like me) that are getting back in the game. The best part of the app is that you can turn on your GPS on your phone and it tracks your distance for you. You don't need a separate pedometer or extra equipment, and the app is free!

The Couch to 10k app is the sequel to the 5k version. Hopefully it helps me step up my training in time for the big day! Let me know if you have tried it or other things that have motivated you to train.

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow! That is astonishing! She has certainly won my respect. I can barely finish a marathon; I can't imagine doing 6 of them back to back! I would LOVE to know how she recovers after a run like that. I wonder if she wakes up the next day and runs another 50 miles. I wouldn't leave my bed for a month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's certainly something I never thought of; using an 'app' for running, let alone fitness. Wonder how that really pushes people to do better. I never was all that much of a competitor, but I do run miles for the hell of it; that and I save transportation costs running from place to place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried the couch to 5k years ago before the phone app. I loved it, it started out slow enough that I didn't notice the gradual increase in my endurance and cardo fitness. For someone who doesn't like cardio this program made it easier to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad it was useful for you Valerie! I am finding it very difficult to run the set schedule. Some days I want to run more, and some days I can't even get out of bed. Do you still run? If yes, do you still use any apps for running?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I'm very lazy these days and I don't excercise at all. I should probably give that app a try again, especially since it's now a phone app. I won't be running with a bunch of printed sheets of paper LOL!

      Delete