Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Asphalt vs. Concrete

Have you ever wondered why some runners risk running on the side of the road alongside traffic when there is a perfectly safe sidewalk next to him?

Here are some excerpts from the Runner's World discussion board that bring helpful insight:
  
"According to a clinical study of 4,000 runners, co-authored by Southern California podiatrist John Pagliano, one of the five leading causes of injury is "improper" running surfaces........concrete is approximately 10 times harder than asphalt, so all your bones, muscles and connective tissues get pummeled. In other words, welcome to stress fracture city"- Lisa on Runner's World quotes this excerpt from Men's Fitness Magazine

"Now get this ... there are infinite different types of concrete. It has to do with the mixture with determines the strength (measured in pounds per square inch or psi). There are many types of concrete because of the different applications, in buildings, as sidewalks, used in planters or parking lot bumpers, etc. Asphalt is different in that is is only used for roads, so it's basically residential road, commercial road (high use) or highway. The asphalt on maple drive can be softer than on main street, and main street can be softer than the interstate. Asphalt (400-600 psi) is "softer" than concrete (typically 3000 psi) meaning that it takes compression and then expands back to its original state. Concrete sidewalks and paths are the "softest" concrete to run on, about 3000 or 4000 psi.
Worst concrete substance to run on: Airstrip, typically 8000 - 10000 psi." - RunnerEdge quotes Bill Nye the science guy


Hopefully, this opens your eyes to why a runner would risk head on collision with 2 tons of moving metal... it is easier on your joints. Joint injury and arthritis are probably the top fears among runners. When given the option, try to run on the street or on the asphalt surface as much as possible.

Want to try a good running route in the Henderson? Paseo Verde has a running path made completely of asphalt with beautiful scenery for a running thrill. Check it out! >>>



Quote source:
http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/beginners/running-concrete-vs-asphalt

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow I would never have guessed that. I am not so keen on running, mainly due to the fact that I wear a size 14 shoe! After high school I really didn't run much. But this is really cool to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I drive down Paseo Verde a lot, I've never noticed that was actually asphalt. I've always wished I was a runner. I've tried it several times, finally started jogging outside because on a treadmill I would just stop but going out I would still have to get back home so I would jog twice as far. LOL. I just never kept up with it. I can't stand cardio, I don't like the feeling, even though I know I really need to improve that area.

    ReplyDelete