Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Ragnar Relay

What could be better than running a crazy amount of miles on the open road? Doing it with friends!

Ragnar Relay is an overnight running relay race made up of teams of 6-12 people. Each individual does 3 legs, and each leg can be from 3-11 miles. The races covers approximately 200 miles over all types of terrain. The Ragnar Relay website calls it "a slumber party without sleep, pillows or deodorant."

I am proud to say that I am apart of a team for the upcoming race here in Las Vegas in November. I originally signed up for a moderate run: my three legs totaling around 15 miles.  My teammates wouldn't settle for this. They signed me up for the 24 mile spot. And as luck would have it, Ragnar upped my legs to 26 miles a month before the event.

Here is a link to the event website in case you want a better idea of the event and all its glory:



I am really excited to be apart of something so big. I have never done a relay race, and I can't wait to experience it with my close friends. I have to say that the 26 miles seems daunting. I have done 26 miles straight, but I am worried about the breaks catching up to me. My second leg is 11 miles, and I am afraid that sitting after such a stretch will make it harder to get out and do the last leg.

I will be drinking a recovery blend energy drink. We also have talk of foam rollers to get all the lactic acid moving after each leg. If you have any experience running Ragnar or have some good tips to keep the momentum going, please feel free to share! I will be excited to share my results!

No comments:

Post a Comment